GoodWest Industries is a leading aseptic beverage manufacturer located in Douglassville, PA. We specialize in processing shelf-stable dairy, coffee beverages and coffee creamers. Our company is rapidly growing and is seeking passionate people to join our team.
Maintenance Mechanic reports to the Maintenance Manager. This position has no direct reports. The position requires a close working relationship with the Plant Manager, Production Superintendents, and Production Operators. The environment of the plant can be characterized as highly technical with state-of-the-art equipment. The plant operation specializes in aseptic (shelf stable) manufacturing processors and fillings systems. The plant operation is fully automated with batching recipe systems. The Maintenance Mechanic will be responsible for all of the duties of the Maintenance department. He/She will be responsible for the upkeep, troubleshooting and repairs of all Plant Equipment.
The maintenance technician must possess knowledge and have experience in:
- Mechanical equipment (conveyors, fillers, pumping systems, hydraulics, packaging equipment, heat exchangers, material handling equipment, sanitation CIP systems)
- Electrical systems as it relates to instrumentation, PLCs, fundamentals in electricity and electronics
- Utilities such as steam (boilers), compressed air, water systems, up to 480V electrical systems
- In depth knowledge of PLC and PLC systems and P&ID instrumentation preferred
- Experience in food manufacturing preferred
Job Responsibilities and Requirements
- Safety: Demonstrates behaviors in support of company safety procedures with focus on zero injuries.
- Quality: Demonstrates behaviors in support of quality work processes to include Statistical Process Control-SPC, Document & track production variables, downtime, product samples and make adjustments to ensure proper processing and packaging of product meet quality standards. Keeps compliance with plant GMP and SQF guidelines. Demonstrate proficiency and mechanical interventions along with hygienic restorations after PMs and repairs.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively support the GoodWest Industries High Performance Work Systems participation; 5S participation and compliance, working in teams, problem solving, six sigma knowledge and involvement, continuous skills development participation and ownership, line and process auditing, autonomous maintenance (AMD) involvement and ownership, cleaning, inspecting and lubricating (CIL) and Centerlining (CL) of equipment and line in general, line and equipment ownership, and other Lean foundational systems.
- Sanitation Process: Working knowledge of sanitation systems and ability to troubleshoot and maintain sanitation systems for proper performance.
- Coaching and Leadership: Must have the ability to interact effectively and professionally with coworkers. Need to be able to perform all skills as outlined on the Skills Element Tree. Need to be able to act as a Coach and Trainer for other Maintenance and Production employees. Must comply with all standard work practices and complete documentation in accordance with standard work. It cannot be overstated that the Line Technician is a leader in that they assume ownership of the Assets. Moreover, they are “Co-Owners” of those assets with the Production Operators.
- Performance in this position can be measured by the timely completion of work, accuracy of fabrication, and minimizing of machine downtime. Avoidance of catastrophic failure of assets through Infrared Scanning and Ultrasonic Inspections can be quantified. Maintenance Mechanic works with Production Operators in monitoring and improving ALL Production Line performance indicators (Minor Stops, Process Failures, Breakdown, MTBF, etc.)
- Knowledge and skills required to perform this position include general knowledge of overall plant operations, working knowledge of various equipment and plant processes to understand, interpret and schedule work orders; strong technical and mechanical aptitude. In addition, they need to possess some electrical, instrumentation, electronic and PLC aptitude. Moreover, understanding the value of a good Conditioned Based Monitoring Program is paramount in increasing the reliability and availability of all assets.
- Other qualities necessary are good skills in coaching and training employees, good written and oral communications and mathematical aptitude.
- Lean Manufacturing: The Maintenance Mechanic will be involved in various lean manufacturing roles including:
- Process Lead
- Develop personal process mastery / SME status for assigned (owned) line(s) or equipment
- Act as line owner for the Centerlines and Changeover DMS’s
- Define data-based issues / opportunities for assigned (owned) line(s)
- Develop and implement solutions to systemic or chronic problems
- Drive process stability
- Support training needs
- Lead the development of Equipment Owners / Operators
- Process Lead
- Develop personal technical mastery / SME status for assigned (owned) line(s)
- Act as line owner for the Breakdown Elimination and Maintenance Planning & Scheduling and DMS’s
- Eliminate chronic losses on assigned (owned) line(s)
- Develop Equipment Owner / Operator maintenance skill profile
- Lead equipment reliability and design improvement activities
- Optimize maintenance costs for assigned (owned) line(s)
- Drive reduction of MTTR
- Partner with Line Lead and Process Lead to drive CPS Foundation Systems
- Process Lead
- Line Technician will also be responsible for any other assigned duties to support the business need.
View full job description and requirements here.